background

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Need More Patience

pa·tience (noun): good-natured tolerance of delay.

Patience is a virtue – one that I have not been blessed with. Fortunately, I can blame this one on my dad. As much as I love him, he is one of the most impatient people I know (other than me). Patience requires us to “wait calmly for something to happen without complaining.” Wow – sound virtually impossible to me.

But I acknowledge that patience is something I could use a little more of these days. Now don’t get me wrong, I am NOT complaining, but I am overly-anxious for things to happen. For instance, Eric and I are now living in a tiny 2-bedroom apartment that is the worst I’ve endured since college. Each day drags along while we “patiently” wait for our new house to be finished. We go out once each week to see what progress they have made, to which each time we go I’m disappointed that they didn’t get more done! Thank God I married a man who keeps me grounded and deals calmly with my impatience on a daily basis. Basically, the construction of our new house is progressing normally, but it can’t come soon enough for me!

Another aspect of life right now that requires patience is my pregnancy. I am 10 weeks, and being a first-time mom and someone who has waited years for this, I am impatient with the progress. I can’t wait to feel the baby move, I can’t wait to find out the sex and pick a name, I can’t wait to buy cute clothes and design a nursery…and I can’t wait to meet this beautiful miracle baby. Again, I make progress every day but it just can’t happen quickly enough for someone impatient like me. Despite my own desires, I realize that the greatest things in life are worth waiting for – and this is definitely no exception.

But to help counteract my impatience, I have begun to find something to look forward to each and every day. I hope it helps keep me more grounded and focused on the joy of the immediate future. I love my life and look forward to every single day that I get to share with my friends and family. I may struggle with being impatient with some of the more exciting and monumental things in my life, but every day has its own blessings, and I’m not too impatient to realize that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

We had to suffer through an apartment for 8 months - yeah I NEVER want to do that again! But having a new house is wonderful!