background

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reconnecting

I have to admit, I had major hesitations with joining Facebook. I was worried it would open a whole can of worms and just be a distraction to the wonderful life I have already been blessed with. I also didn’t quite understand what the obsession was all about (I still don’t). However, I have since discovered that it is not a distraction, but a great tool to reconnect!

I have managed to get back in touch with long lost friends who I have often wondered about, but never pursued trying to track down. Facebook is like a great location for everyone to go “meet up”….people in my life now, people from long ago, and even some new people! How great it is to choose who you want to hear from, and how often you keep in touch. It is less intimidating than picking up the phone to call someone after 10 years, and much more convenient.

Call me a sap, but I am really enjoying getting back in touch with some people. Most of which are people who were once a HUGE part of my life, friendships I thought would last forever – but were torn at by distance and change in circumstance. I am realizing that these “old friends” are still friends. Although their life may be different now than when we were 17, they are still the same good-hearted, fun loving people I enjoyed spending time with long ago. We share lots of memories…laughter, tears and everything in between. That seems to be something that time and distance cannot fade.


Although most of us have all change dramatically from 10+ years ago, including spouses, kids, careers and so on, perhaps we can each sprinkle a little friendship from times long ago into our current lifestyle. After all, many of us are still sharing in the same joys and tragedies in life - and can probably continue to learn from and lean on each other. Let's face it, with the way things are today, we need all the friendship, laughter and support we can get!

No comments: