background

Monday, April 21, 2008

These are some good times

It was a good weekend, one full of memories. Sunday we met my parents in the Amana Colonies for lunch. My dad grew up there, and I used to visit my grandma, or ‘Oma’ in German, as a kid nearly every weekend. Sadly, since her death, I’ve only been to visit a handful of times. We went to the cemetery first, then around town and out to lunch. It is so sad to hear my dad talk about all the friends and relatives he has in that cemetery – there is a lot of history there. It’s even more sad to hear my mom and dad anguish about which of them is going to be buried where. Frankly, when my day comes – I want my ashes to be spread somewhere beautiful for everyone to come enjoy and remember, instead of having family come mourn my death at a graveyard, to each their own I guess.

I really enjoyed taking a walk down memory lane in the Amanas. So many stories pop in my head of hearing my brothers talk about working at the General Store, sneaking wine samples, etc. I also have many childhood memories of helping my dad sell postcards (back before the days of internet or e-cards) and how that is one of those things I hated at the time, but now look fondly on. I can’t help but think of some song lyrics by Trace Adkins. Even if you aren’t a country music fan, you should look it up and listen to it, and relish in the truth of the lyrics that go like this:
You’re gonna miss this
You’re gonna want this back
You’re gonna wish these days
Hadn’t gone by so fast

These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you’re gonna miss this

Times like this weekend make me reminisce and smile. Thankfully when I look back at old photos or revisit places that have slowly begun to fade from my memory, I am reminded again of how precious those days were, and how I miss them in some ways. I wish we could realize as a kid how great some of the experiences we go through really are. Sadly, it’s not until much later, long after “those days” are gone that we can truly appreciate them.

No comments: