background

Monday, September 29, 2008

The Hardest Words

What are the hardest words to say? I'm not talking about the pronunciation, but the hardest words to say. For some people, it's "I love you." Thankfully for me that has come somewhat easy throughout the years, mostly because I have been blessed by so much love in my life. Although many of us as kids, didn't grow up hearing (or saying) those words to our parents or siblings. That perhaps is a lesson made easier as an adult.

Another one that is rarely heard (except by kids doing homework) is, "I need help." How many of us are comfortable asking someone for help, or worse, accepting help if it is offered? So often we are stubborn and think we can, and are expected to, handle anything that is thrown our way. Sometimes it is sickness, perhaps a financial burden, or maybe even mere emotional strain or turmoil. How often do we ask people for help? Why is it so hard to admit that we want to or need to lean on someone? I know I try to offer my help as frequently as I can, although it is often not accepted. I truly hope those I offer it to know that it is a gift, and should be accepted as such. Too many times we feel we will be a burden if we ask for it, or accept it.

But perhaps one of the hardest phrases to utter is those unmistakable words, "I'm sorry." Sadly, my mind reels at the number of times I have uttered those words. Many times as a child when I didn't fully grasp the need for authenticity behind my pleas. But more often, I have uttered those words as an adult. Not out of need or obligation, but as a need for redemption. I have hurt so many friends through frivolous and unnecessary words. I have disappointed those whose opinions I value most. I have created eternal heartache with those I have loved. Yet through all that, I have gained one powerful skill....the ability to say "I'm sorry". In my opinion it is never too late. Whether it's an old friend who you made the butt of jokes in school, a former relationship that went sour due to your bad decisionmaking, or perhaps even a family member you disrespected....it is never too late to tell them you are sorry. Although it is not something I wish I had learned, I certainly thank God for learning the need to swallow my pride and recognize my regret to others.

Think about what your difficult words are...there are more out there than you think. PErhaps they are words that you never heard as a child, or those you still long to hear. Chances are, if they are words that are hard for you to say, there's probably a reason.....
"I miss you."
"I'm proud of you."
"I forgive you"

If nothing else, pick one phrase and master not only the ability to say it - but the true ability to embrace what it stands for and live it every day.

No comments: