background

Monday, September 8, 2008

Emotions Galore

Well, I started a new job this weekend. No, I didn't leave Principal, but I took on a new job as a bartender at a local event center (which will remain nameless). I had a rough first day being the new kid! "Excuse me maam, how do I get to the locker room?" or "where do I find that again?" got a little old after two short hours. In addition to getting lost at every turn, I was also frustrated by not knowing what to do or how to do it, and trying to meet people all on night one.
The work is tiring, being on your feet the whole time, sometimes lifting heavy items and walking a lot, and serving rude people while hoping they throw you a tip. On the drive home after the first night, I was done. I was convincing myself I couldn't do it, it wasn't worth it. I was frustrated and my body felt like it was going to crumble into pieces.

Thankfully, I woke up the next day feeling sore, but better. However, I was due to go in at 2:00pm and had a long night ahead - I was dreading it. Eric and the boys were partying at the Iowa game, and I was stuck putting on a uniform and going back in for another long night. Surprisingly, the 2nd night went much better. I already knew where to go, had met a couple people the night before, and started to get the hang of things. I still worked my butt off! But thankfully, I walked out at the end of my 11-hour shift the 2nd night feeling like I had toppled the dragon! This was something I could do - mostly because I was thrilled with the amount of extra money I had just earned.

On top of those emotions, I missed my husband terribly. I hadn't "seen" (meaning when he's not sleeping) Eric since Thursday night. I felt exhausted AND lonely. But when I walked in the door on Sunday morning at 2am, I was greeted with an amazing love note. He had written me a note telling me how much he missed me this weekend, how proud he was of me, and how he couldn't wait to spend some time with me. Not only did he leave that amazing note, but this morning, I found a gift bag and card in my car as a surprise! He went out last night and bought me the black Iowa Hawkeyes sweatshirt I've been wanting, and wrote me another wonderful note. What an amazing man I married. I'm very grateful that God blessed me with him and I never want to take him for granted. I love you baby.

After a long, hard weekend...I'm ready for another long week at my day job! Thankfully, I have a little extra hard earned cash in my pocket, a wonderful and loving man by my side and a great Iowa game to look forward to this weekend. One thing I guess I know to be true....work hard, play hard! Go Hawks!

No comments: