background

Friday, January 16, 2009

Hibernating...

Wow, it is amazing how often I think of moving to Arizona in the middle of Iowa winters. Eric and I talk about it on days like yesterday; how we will retire there regardless of where the children and grandchildren are….they will just have to come visit us in the desert! We can’t handle these inhumanely-cold temperatures!

So what else is there to do on these freezing, dark winter nights? Well, dress up your dogs and laugh endlessly of course! Poor Loki, he’s so tortured by his humans, but at least he’s a good sport!


In other news…..wait….there really isn’t any other news! In all reality, life since the holidays has been quiet. We have all been dragging ourselves up in the dark mornings to head to work and school, and coming home at night to hibernate. This weather definitely takes a toll on your body, mind and soul. It’s hard to get up in the morning when your bed is so toasty-warm! It’s hard to get motivated to leave the house or work during the day – for fear of the mind-numbing cold you’ll have to endure. And it’s especially hard to leave the comfort of your warm house after you’ve returned from work/school and the dark chill has descended once again.

During these less-than-thrilling days, I try to remind myself of what I have to look forward to. Primarily – spring. But beyond that, we decided to try and plan a trip to Germany this year to see my brother and his family. Obviously we don’t know what circumstances may arise this year, but if possible, we want to take 10 days and go visit. The thought of returning to Europe and getting to see my dearly-missed nephews gets me so excited that I completely forget my fingers and toes have gone numb.

In the meantime, I keep plugging away at each day. I know that each one is still a blessing, no matter how cold it may be. But I remind myself that there are better, brighter and warmer days ahead!

No comments: