background

Monday, February 18, 2008

Hang on....

February 18th....what a great day! Just 31 years ago today, God granted me life, and blessed my family with a new baby girl! What a joyous day!
Birthdays have a tendency to make us reflect on the past year, and on our lives in general. Today I'm reflecting back thinking about what birthdays used to be like. As a kid, my parents always made my birthdays memorable. We had parties and presents, sleepovers with friends....all the wonderful memories kids should have of their birthdays. Today, I hope to carry on some of those traditions with my family as we grow together. Then in college, birthdays were about partying, and enjoying newfound freedom. Going out with friends was a birthday ritual when you turn 21! As an adult, my birthdays started out poorly. At the time, I had a spouse who was inconsiderate of the importance of the day, and blind to the joy of giving and trying to make someone feel special on their day. I'm glad those days are over, they were never special.


Now that I'm in a new city, with a new life and a very special man I love dearly, I find that my birthday is better than ever! Age is just a number, the true importance of a birthday is to reflect on how happy you are in life. If you aren't happy, it's a time to discover why and make a change to ensure that the upcoming year will be better. Thankfully, I am happier than I've ever been. I'm surrounded by a great family, loving friendships and an amazing relationship with the man of my dreams and his two boys. I know that God has even better things for me in the future.

A card I got for my birthday states it best, "Hang on - God has good things in store - things to bring a breathless contented smile to your heart of hearts."

(Special thanks to Eric today for my beautiful birthday present - here's to an amazing "journey" together)

No comments: