background

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Jealousy

Jealousy: hostile thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that occur when a person believes a valued relationship is being threatened by a rival, or one believed to enjoy an advantage.

What a wasted emotion, but it is something that has afflicted all of us at one point or another. Jealousy is a disease that can pick away at your self-esteem, happiness, your hopes and dreams. But maybe it is human nature to look at another person and be jealous of what they have, or who they are. Maybe they have an amazing house or car you wish you had, maybe they have more family or friends than you do, maybe it's as simple as the fact that everything in their life seems to go exactly as they plan, unlike the rest of us. Any variety of things can wreak jealousy in your heart.

I admit, I have spent much of my youth and even my adult life being jealous of others. I've been jealous of friends and family at times. I can drill down even further, admitting to being jealous of those that are skinnier, wealthier, more carefree, in a more loving relationship, more determined, better job....honestly the list could go on and on. What a terrible sickness it is to always be jealous of others? How quickly that will erode any recognition you have of yourself!

Let's face it, we can't help but compare what we have to what others have - whether it's money, relationships, material items, jobs, etc. But there is a distinct difference in comparing, or being jealous. Let's look at it from a different angle, for every person that you are jealous of, chances are, there are 10 that are jealous of you. So perhaps it is an issue of none of us being grateful for what we ourselves have - therefore we always have to see how our lives "stack up" against others? Whatever happened to the commandment of "thou shalt not covet"?

After some careful reflection today, and good conversation with friends, I came to realize a few key things that are crucial to me. I have no rivals. I love my life, I love the person I am, I love the wealth of opportunities God has blessed me with. I am finally in a place in my life, where I can truly look at myself and my life and be overjoyed. I am more aware of what I have, and am jealous of no one.

No comments: