background

Saturday, February 2, 2008

So Many Roles

Why does it seem like most weekends, are spent working? I don't mean stuck in the office. But considering how much we look forward to weekends, its amazing how much time I feel like I spend working when I'm here at home....laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishes, etc. And that's with a husband who helps out on occasion! It's not just housework that gets me thinking about this - but the role that we all play in our family.

As a wife and mother, you could say on any given day, I play the role of caretaker, friend, consoler, maid, dogsitter, banker, and of course, lover and mother. We all fall into roles within our own lives and families. Some women carry majority of the weight, and sometimes it's the men. But regardless, the roles that we play definitely affect what (if any) freetime we have and how we spend it. I not only need to help take care of my family, cheer them up when they are down, provide for them, etc - but I also need to do all those things for myself! I need time to reflect, relax, exercise and play. Thankfully we have a pretty good balance in our family, everyone pitches in as needed. But for the most part we all play a specific role that your family members/significant others rely on.

This weekend is another busy one, but also enjoyable - finding time to ignore the dishes and leave the laundry - and enjoy time together.

No comments: